MemTest86 is the original, free, stand alone memory testing software for x86 computers. MemTest86 boots from a USB flash drive or CD and tests the RAM in your computer for faults using a series of comprehensive algorithms and test patterns.
Memtest86 is considered by the majority of hardware testing community the number one application when it comes to defective RAM sticks. The answer to the question about the working state of the installed memory modules comes quickly with Memtest86 and that’s what matters most besides the verdict certainty.
RAM chips consist of a large array of tightly packed memory cells, one for each bit of data. The vast majority of intermittent failures are a result of the interaction between these memory cells. Often writing a memory cell can cause one of the adjacent cells to be written with the same data. An effective memory test attempts to test this condition. Therefore, an ideal strategy for memory testing would be:
Write a cell with a zero.
Write all of the adjacent cells with one, one or more times.
Check that the first cell still has a zero.
Here are some key features of Memtest86:
The latest version of MemTest86 supports all current technologies, including
– 13 different RAM testing algorithms
– DDR4 RAM (and DDR2 & DDR3) support
– XMP – high performance memory profiles
– UEFI – The new graphical standard for BIOS
– 64bit – From version 5, MemTest86 is native 64bit code
– ECC RAM – support for error-correcting code RAM
– Secure boot – With MemTest86 being code signed by Microsoft
– Graphical interface, mouse support and logging of results to disk
– Foreign language support (Chinese, German & more)
– Self booting off USB or CD, without needing DOS, Linux or Windows
– Network (PXE) boot – Scalable, disk-less provisioning from a single PXE server
– Dual booting – Will boot to V4 in BIOS and V7 in UEFI from a single flash drive
Platforms : x86 Systems
Requirements: CD or USB Flash Drive (> = 256MB capacity)
Installation guideTo test computer RAM by MemTest86:
1. Use a bootable CD to test the RAM in bootable mode:
1-1. Download the ISO image of the MemTest86 file.
1-2. Burn a boot-able CD-ROM from a .iso file using a CD burning program in your system.
Restart your system and boot it through the CD you burned in the previous step.
2. Using bootable USB to test the RAM in bootable mode:
2.1 Download MemTest86 file for USB image and extract the contents from compression.
2-2. Connect the USB drive you want to connect.
2-3- Run the ImageUSB application that is in the downloaded file.
2-4 Select your USB drive from the list (step 1).
2-5- Select “Write image to USB drive” (Step 2)
2-6. Select the existing .img file-if not already selected – (step 3).
2-7 Click Write (Step 4).
2-8. Steps to create a USB boot up to the end.
2-9- Restart your system and boot it through the USB that you created in the previous step.
1- MemTest86 V8 only supports UEFI platforms. If your system does not support UEFI, and MemTest86 will not boot up, you should download and use the V4 version.
2- MemTest86 is an independent application that does not need to run on the operating system.
Direct links download:
Version v 8.1.1000
MemTest86 USB Image
Download – 7.6 MB
old version (v4.3.7) – For UEFI
MemTest86 platforms ISO Image
download – 0.7 MB
MemTest86 USB Image
download – 0.8 MB
View file password here